After shampooing, your washed hair looks good for few hours, but after few hours or next day does your hair reveal a different look? If yes, then you are likely to have oily hair, which becomes greasy after few hours of washing it. A healthy scalp naturally produces oil to maintain the health of the hair, but when it secretes excessive oil, then your hair becomes oily or greasy, which nobody likes.
What Causes Oily Hair?
You experience oily hair problem due to many reasons, such as stress, heredity, unhealthy food habits, hormonal changes etc. Oily hair looks dirty and sometimes even looks as if it has not been cleaned since many days. People with oily hair are prone to flakes, dandruff and itchy scalp that can lead to hair loss.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Oily Hair
Usually, people wash their hair daily to prevent oily hair, but shampooing every day is not advisable as the chemical in it harms the hair, which often leads to hair fall, and dull and lifeless hair.
Are you worried now and thinking how to treat your oily hair? Do not worry as there are many home remedies to get rid of oily hair, which not just check the problem of oily hair, but also make your hair healthy and free from dirt.
1. Homemade Shampoo
This is a simple homemade shampoo, which you can make with coconut milk and liquid castile soap. It works wonder on your scalp. This shampoo is free from chemical and you can clean your hair daily with this shampoo it also helps you to get smooth and silky hair.
- Take ¼ cup of homemade or canned coconut milk.
- Add ⅓ cup of liquid castile soap.
- Also mix 20 drops of any essential oil like rosemary, lavender, orange, lemon or peppermint or a combination of 2 or 3 of these oils.
- Mix all these ingredients in an old shampoo bottle or a jar, which will be convenient to pour.
- Shake well and your shampoo is ready (you can store this shampoo for 1 month).
- Take about 1 tsp of it every time when you shampoo your hair.
- This is very effective to check the secretion of excess oil from the scalp. The regular use of this shampoo will fix the oily hair problem.
2. OatmealOatmeal is very effective and a simple remedy for greasy hair. Being thick in consistency, it absorbs the extra oil from the scalp. Apart from that it also relieves the itchiness of the scalp.
- Take 2 tbsp of oatmeal and add 1 cup of milk to it.
- Boil it for some time to prepare it.
- Allow this to become cool and then apply it on your scalp.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse off your scalp.
- Use a shampoo to clean your hair properly.
- Repeat this remedy 2-3 times in a week to treat your oily hair problem.
3. Hair Rinse
This hair rinse removes oiliness from the scalp and hair.
Process: Lemon, Mint Leaves and Green Tea Powder
- Pour 500 ml of water in a pan and bring it to a boil.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of lemon juice, 8 mint leaves, and 2 tbsp of green tea powder while the water is hot.
- Heat the mixture till it leaves bubbles.
- Once the mixture becomes cool, use it to wash your hair and leave it for 5 minutes.
- Then, rinse your hair again with plain water.
- This hair rinse is very effective in treating greasy hair.
- You can use it 1-2 times in a week to get rid of oily hair.
4. TomatoesThe acidic nature of tomato controls the excess oil production by balancing the pH level of the scalp. It also removes bad smell, which comes out of greasy and dirty hair.
- Take 1 ripe tomato and take out its juice.
- Sieve it to remove the seeds.
- Now add 1 tsp of fuller’s earth in this juice and mix well.
- Apply this mixture on your scalp and hair.
- Put a shower cap, and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Then, wash off with cool water.
- Repeat this remedy 1-2 times in a week to treat your oily hair.
5. Witch Hazel Oil
Witch hazel also works wonders on your hair. It treats many hair problems and is very effective in getting rid of your oily hair problem. You just need to purchase witch hazel oil.
- Take 4-5 drops of witch hazel oil in a bowl.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the oil to dilute it.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution and apply it to your scalp.
- Leave your hair for 2-3 hours, and then wash off by using a shampoo.
- This treatment can be used 3-4 times in a week to reduce the greasiness of your hair.
6. Fuller’s EarthFuller’s earth is used for treating many skin and hair related problems. It is known as a natural absorbent, which helps to absorb the extra oil from your scalp. Moreover, it contains mineral properties, which helps in improving the blood circulation to the scalp. It also balances the pH level of the scalp.
- Take 3 tbsp of fuller’s earth and add 1-2 tbsp of water to make a thick paste.
- The amount of fuller’s earth can be increased depending on your hair length.
- Apply this paste on your scalp and if possible cover the entire hair as well.
- Leave it for 20 minutes or till it becomes dry.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Follow this procedure weekly once to remove excess oil from your hair.
7. LemonLemon juice is a very old remedy for treating oily and greasy hair. It reduces dandruff effectively and also adds shine to the hair.
Process-1: Lemon and Honey
- In a cup of water, mix 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Add 3 tsp of honey to it and mix well until it dissolves completely.
- Apply this solution on your scalp and covering all the hair.
- Leave it for 5-7 minutes and wash off with a shampoo.
- Use this remedy 3 times in a week to get rid of oily hair and scalp.
Process-2: Lemon and Egg
- Take 2 egg yolks and mix it with 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Mix it nicely and apply it on your washed hair.
- Clean your hair with lukewarm water.
- If you don’t like the smell of the egg, then you can put shampoo again.
- This remedy removes extra oil and also works as a natural hair conditioner.
- Repeat this once in a week for few months to treat oily hair.
8. Hair Mask for Oily Hair
This hair mask is prepared by using natural ingredients like henna, eggs, honey and olive oil, which are very effective in removing extra oil from the scalp and hair.
Process: Eggs, Henna, Olive Oil and Honey
- In a bowl, take 1 egg and whip it nicely.
- Add 2 tbsp each of henna powder and honey.
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and few drops of warm water to make a paste.
- Mix all the ingredients well and apply this mask on your scalp and hair completely.
- Put a shower cap and leave it for 1-2 hours.
- Rinse your hair with water followed by a shampoo.
- This hair mask can be applied once in 10 days, or a week to treat oily hair.
9. Instant Remedy
If you don’t have time, then there are some instant remedies to get rid of oily hair, which are called as the dry shampoo process.
Process-1: Baby Powder for Oily Hair
- Take some baby powder or any other talc in your hand and sprinkle it on your scalp.
- Allow it to settle for 5 minutes, and then comb your hair.
- This does not allow your hair to appear oily.
- Instead of powder, you can also use corn starch on your hair.
- This remedy can be applied when you run short of time. It helps in soaking the excessive grease.
Process-2: Cocoa Powder
- Sometimes with talcum powder your scalp looks white. So, if your hair is dark brown in color then you can use cocoa powder.
- Sprinkle some cocoa powder on your scalp and spread it nicely.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and then comb your hair.
- This remedy also helps in fixing excessive oil problems of your scalp.
- But once you get time, shampoo your hair and don’t sleep with this powder on your hair.
For some of you, it sounds great! But you don’t have to drink it, rather you need to apply it on your hair. Vodka is preferably referred as an ideal hair tonic to fix oily hair problem. It is known to be a quick solution for the oily hair.
Process: Hair Tonic
- Mix 1 glass of vodka with 2 glasses of water.
- Apply this solution on your hair and leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair and you will notice your hair becoming dry in few minutes.
- You can fill this solution in a spray bottle, and can use as a hair spray to remove excess oil within a minute.
- It can be used as an instant remedy to get rid of oils from your hair. You cause it regularly to stop oily hair problem.
Additional Tips for Oily Hair
Follow the tips that are mentioned below to remove extra oil from your scalp and get rid of the oily hair problem.
- Steaming your hair regularly helps in cleaning the pores, which will reduce the greasiness and help in hair growth.
- Dilute apple cider vinegar with an equal amount of water and use it as a hair rinse for your scalp. It helps to clear away the extra oil from your scalp.
- Scrubbing or scratching your scalp produces excessive oil, so avoid scratching your head often.
- Mix 1 tsp of baking soda in your regular shampoo and clean your hair with it. It helps in clearing the dirt and extra oil from the hair.
- Avoid using conditioners and serums as these products make your hair greasy.
- Apply aloe vera gel on your scalp as it helps in treating the problem of oily hair.
- Use shampoos, which contain zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide, or salicylic acid. Never go for those shampoos, which contain conditioner.
- Rinse your hair with beer, which not only removes extra oil, but will also make your hair soft and smooth. Avoid using hair creams and other hair styling products, which make your hair oily and greasy.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to maintain the health of the scalp and prevent oily hair.
- Have foods that contain zinc or go for zinc supplements as it is very necessary for hair growth and healthy scalp.
- Always keep yourself hydrated. Drink plenty of water, fruit and vegetable juices, milk, buttermilk, smoothies, etc, to maintain the health of the hair.
- Avoid eating oily and spicy foods as these foods induce the production of more oil on the scalp.
- Protect your hair from sun rays, dirt and pollution. Always wear a scarf while going out.
- Have a stress-free life as a healthy heart keeps a healthy scalp.
All these remedies and tips are very effective to get rid of oily hair if followed properly. They will help in achieving the best results for your hair. But, if your scalp is itchy with a lot of flakes and blood oozes out of it, then consult a dermatologist or a hair specialist as it can be a sign of some skin infection.