Weight management is difficult, and recently, active young people and children are gaining weight faster than before. Some children are even born obese. In India, there are regions where fat people account for 40% of the population, and soon, half the world will become fat!
Problems with being overweight
Being overweight increases the risk of diseases such as high blood pressure, diabetes, cardiac arrest, ulcers, digestive disorders, gout and thyroid problems. It also causes physical and mental stress.
When you’re overweight, you consume more food than your body needs. Almost a third of the world consumes 50% more food than required, but cutting back will easily solve the world’s food and water shortage.
Why do we become overweight?
Becoming overweight is caused by numerous factors such as unhealthy diet, sedentary lifestyle, bad eating habits and a diet focused on processed foods, flour, bread, bakes, pastry and fried food.
Are you overweight?
Here’s how you can determine if you’re overweight:
- Have you visibly gained weight recently? If yes, you need to make lifestyle changes immediately;
- The best way you can tell if you’re overweight is by waist percentage and hip ratio. Forget the BMI or lean body mass tests – hip ratio and waist percentage can tell you exactly if you’ve become fat. There are ranges you shouldn’t pass – for women, the limit is 25%, but a 2-3% should be fine. However, if you have been at 22%, you need to be careful not to pass over 25%;
- Do you fit in your clothes? This is the simplest way to know if you’ve become overweight;
- If someone told you that you gained weight recently, he’s probably right;
- Are you eating more and have frequent cravings? This is a sure sign of “fatness”.
Fast weight loss diet plan
Once you determined you’re overweight, you need to put yourself on a diet plan. These are the guidelines you need to follow:
- Eat less than you need – you can eat enough to feel hungry every 3 hours;
- You need to stop drinking water during and after meals;
- Eat a liquid diet – 25-30% of your diet needs to be liquid;
- Avoid excessive drinking of coffee, tea, carbonated drinks and alcohol;
- Whatever you do, do not eat after 8 PM;
- Instead of unhealthy snacks, take some lime juice, smoothies, fruit or make a salad. Never snack more than 4 times a day;
- Drink a glass of warm water in the morning and evening;
- Avoid eating junk food;
- Eat lightly cooked vegetarian food;
- Walk for 15 minutes 4 times a day before meals.