We never think anything of the tongue, but it can actually say a lot about your health, which is why your doctor checks it when he tells you to open your mouth. According to Chinese alternative medicine, our tongue says a lot about the state of our body. If you notice any changes on it, you should visit a doctor.
The following 9 changes on your tongue indicate that there’s a problem with your health:
- If your tongue has a thin white layer on the surface and a couple of red dots, it is a sign of lack of energy that causes fatigue, poor appetite and excessive sweating. This can be reflected in our mood as well, with the person experiencing the problem being visibly anxious and nervous.
- A thin yellow layer in the middle of your tongue indicates digestive problems, dehydration and skin diseases. All these problems manifest in the psyche, which is why people with this tongue problem are moody.
- If there’s a mass white layer on your tongue and visibly swollen edges, it means that your digestive system is unbalanced and there’s accumulated water in the body. People in this situation are often tired and lethargic.
- Black spots on the surface on the tongue point to problems with the circulatory system, causing varicose veins, feeling of heaviness in the legs, headaches, chest pain and dull skin.
- A thin white layer and red tip on the tongue are a sign of constant stress. In this case, your body’s energy is accumulated in the nodes and causes inflammation.
- A red tongue with thick yellow layer in the center indicates elevated body temperature which is usually caused by some type of inflammation.
- A thick white layer in the center of a pale tongue indicates inflammation or infection related to an autoimmune disease and some mineral or vitamin deficiency. This condition cause pale complexion, pain in the spine and panic attacks.
- If there are cracks and your tongue is red, it is a sign of a fungal infection which can be accompanied by night sweats, insomnia and irritability.
- A pale tongue surface indicates reduced blood flow or anemia, which can cause symptoms such as dizziness and fatigue. People in this type of situation are suffering from a lack of focus and memory, and the same symptom can also indicate hormonal imbalance in women.